TRUMP SENDING AMERICAN TROOPS
TRUMP SEND MORE TROOPS SAUDI ARABIA DEFENSE AFTER ATTACK ..
Pentagon to send troops to bolster Saudi defenses after attack
WASHINGTON, Sept 20 U.S. President Donald Trump has approved sending American troops to bolster Saudi Arabia’s air defenses after Saturday’s attacks on the kingdom’s oil facilities, which Washington has blamed on Iran, the Pentagon said on Friday.
The Pentagon said the deployment would involve a moderate number of troops and would be primarily defensive in nature. U.S. Marine General Joseph D, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the deployment would not reach thousands of forces but he declined to be more specific
President Trump has approved the deployment of additional U.S. troops and air defense assets to Saudi Arabia, in a muted military response to last week’s attack on Saudi oil facilities.
At a news conference late Friday following a White House meeting with Trump, Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper emphasized that the deployments were defensive in nature, and in response to requests from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to help protect “critical infrastructure” from further attacks by Iran.
Word of the deployments, coupled with an announcement of new economic sanctions, indicated that despite Trump’s initial “locked and loaded” response to the attacks — and the urging of some advisers — he does not plan U.S. military retaliation.
The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Joseph F. D Jr., said the “moderate deployment,” numbering in the hundreds, will be in addition to any forces and equipment the United States is asking allies to contribute.